Monday, December 5, 2016

Revised Sustainability and Buying/Eating Local

To me, sustainability is one of an abundant number of reasons to buy and eat local: generally, buying locally allows you to have fresher food, it supports your local economy, and it is sustainable, and there are reasons within each of these reasons that makes eating and buying local worth it. Having fresh food is better for your health because it tends to be less chemically treated, especially with preservatives, and it also tastes better. Buying and eating local also supports your local economy by putting your money back into your city or state, allowing whre you live to flourish. Finally, buying and eating locally is sustainable for many reasons, such as its ability to cut down on the effects of transporting food across countries.

Ever since I was little, my mom taught me to appreciate local businesses and to try to go to them when it is possible. We always try to go to neighborhood grocery stores, dry cleaners, or farmers’ markets instead of the more commercially known stores. I have carried that ideology here with me to Emory, and I have realized that buying local food is a way to support smaller, local businesses. Doing this benefits me as the consumer, the stores I choose to support, and the community because I am putting my money back into my community. While it can be more expensive, I believe if you can afford this extra expense, then it will be worth it. 

Original Post: http://bcalkins2020.blogspot.com/2016/09/sustainability-and-buyingeating-local.html

No comments:

Post a Comment